"Mama, why's that guy have no shirt on?", the question coming from the backseat as we were driving home today. Olivia is in the age of wonder, the age where questions fly about regarding anything from ear piercing to popcorn to stinky cars on the road. I love it. I love that she is so curious, and that the things that we take for granted, the everyday experiences we encounter are not so every-day for my toddler. However...it is certainly not easy to come up with explanations for all of these questions...and harder still to explain these things in simple terms.
I find some of the hardest thing to explain are scientific things, like why the sky is blue and not purple, but even harder still are societal rules and values, like why men can go topless and women can't. Similarly, why mommy wears a bra but daddy doesn't. My girl is the queen of observation, and is especially curious about names. She wants to know the name of the girl who sold us groceries, and the makeup I put on my eyelashes. She has discovered that nearly everything around her has a label and she'd like to know all of them. Truly one of the biggest gifts of raising a toddler is the appreciation you have for their curiosity and your own re-discovery of how cool the world really is.
No comments:
Post a Comment