Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oh how I love thee...

Yes, just as Oprah has her favorite things, I too have a set of items that make life easier, more pleasant and just all-around enjoyable. Hmm...where to begin? Why not with the things that make my full-time job as "mom" truly remarkable.

Raising kids requires little else but breastmilk and nappies...however, it sure is a lot easier with a few key items that help moms and dads get through the day (and night). What I could not live without? The baby swing. One that swings sideways. Life saver. Malia spent many a nap and nighttime in one and it truly made for my survival for her first 5 months. I also adore my numerous baby carriers. Is there a way to herd two or more children around in the world without one? I loved my Ergo with Liv and used it on my back for every grocery and shopping trip. With Malia, she spent her first 6 months in the Moby wrap, which kept her so tight and snug against me and allowed for countless restful naps and countless peaceful outings. And the Bjorn is quintessential for those babies that have to see the world yet be attached to mom.

And how many times have I thanked all higher beings for the video monitor? Truly, the item I considered the most over-the-top, the most excessive, and on the slightly creepy side before I became a parent, has become my favorite parenting item. It has warned me as my first child climbed over the bars of her crib at the age of 2 years and 1 day. It has amused me as I watched my children crawl, stand, dance, sing and chat in their rooms while going to sleep or as they wake up. It's been a glimpse into Olivia's imagination as I watch her "decorate" her bed or play school when she's supposed to be taking a nap. The video monitor has captured every nude moment and allowed us to intercede and get pj's back on before any "accidents" befall the carpet. And of course it has clued me in and helped me decide whether I was needed in someone's room or if the girls were just fussing in between sleep cycles. Yet the most fantastic aspect of the video monitor is the ability to watch my babies sleep. Because is there anything more sweet, innocent and amazing than my sweet baby girls sleeping peacefully? Sometimes I wish the monitor came with a "record video" button.

No comments: