So, on that note, this post is an assortment of the little things that are making me smile, giving me succor and brightening my soul.
Thumb-sucking
I could write an ode to thumb sucking, I appreciate it so, and although I may look back on Madeline's habit and call it disastrous, (as might Uncle Tony, the dentist), right now it is fulfilling so many needs for both Maddie and myself. My poor third child falls asleep in the car or in the Ergo while running errands, far too often for my taste, and when I am busy making meals or helping a sister get dressed for school, that thumb provides great comfort for my baby girl until I can be with her. And although there is a ounce of mommy guilt that she needs the thumb for comfort because she's not getting enough from me, I can't let myself go there right now. And falling asleep sucking her thumb while her biggest sister is reading her bedtime stories? Priceless.

Licorice
Given that I've cut dairy and soy out of my diet, I should be losing some baby weight...but thanks to my friend Tracy, I have found a dessert replacement that seems to be fitting the bill. And since this licorice is cut into small pieces, I eat a couple and don't feel much guilt. Until I sneak back for another couple pieces. And then a few more. Insidious stuff.

Bizarre Weather
I find myself complaining because it's so insanely unpredictable and the girls and I are either sweating through long sleeves or chilled to the bone with goosebumps. However, when I look back at our activities in the past month, I've savored both the pull-on-the-sweater and be cozy for pumpkin patching moments as much as the frolic-in-the-water beach days in the November heat. (Yeah, like those two words could be more of a mismatch, right?) Only in So. Cal could my daughter crab-walk down the beach with her friends on an eighty-degree November day. But I'm really excited to break out my wool coat, tall boots and favorite scarves, so a few more blustery, cool days would be appreciated. The gorgeous orange and yellow leaves we collected last week seem to know it's Fall, so what's the hold-up?

Sisterhood
Never had a sister but always envied my friends with big sisters. (Sorry Matt, but I was looking to share clothes and makeup tips, not guidance on making a free-throw, no offense!) So getting to watch my girls create lifelong bonds is just beyond anything I could've imagined. I know their bonds will be stretched, they might get kinked or knotted, but it's a connection I hope they will always hold dear. And watching my big girls take care of Maddie and learn to be little mommies is pretty darn heart-warming too. I hope they remember all of their baby play; of rocking babydolls to sleep, and breastfeeding and baby-wearing, and they will use it someday to care for their own babies. (Paul is rolling his eyes right about now.


Big Families
I grew up in a small family with little extended family nearby, so marrying into a big, vivacious family has been a huge bonus. I think I fell in love with Paul's family soon after I fell in love with him, and I am thankful my girls get to be a part of the energy of a big family. On a recent weekend, we celebrated the engagement of Paul's cousin, Darcy, which meant my girls got to spend the day/evening with their cousins, second cousins, Aunts, Uncles, Grandma and Great-Grandpa, Leo. I grew up without knowing my Grandpas, so having a Great-Grandpa, and one living nearby, is pretty spectaular in my mind. We are blessed to have SO much family, close-by and ready to love on my girls at the drop of a hat.

Now that I've rambled on about my rays of sunshine, what's warming your days and filling your heart right now?
3 comments:
ahhh, what a wonderful post Jen! Love the pic of the future baby wearer practicing! Warming my heart.....seeing Liam sit down next to Cailin and say "HI! CAILIN!!"....Cailin seeing Ben and just lighting up like a Christmas Tree. The kids lighting up anytime Jared comes home from work is pretty good too!
The picture of Maddie sucking her thumb with Livy reading to her is warming my heart right now. Wonderful pictures and post.
such sweet little tastes of life in the moment. what a good reminder to write/blog these precious times down and enjoy each one! awesome post...and photos:)
Post a Comment