Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Let the Mania Begin...

If you haven't heard of the American Girl dolls, you must not have a daughter/niece/granddaughter between the ages of 5-10. The American Girl phenomenon is based on a line of historical girl characters and is marketed through dolls, books, accessories, movies, and a magazine. I think most would agree that this is based upon a great idea; enlivening history and encouraging children to learn more about what it was like to be a 9-year old girl during revolutionary time periods such as the Colonial times, The Great Depression and World War II. I even showed one of their movies to my 5th graders when we studied the American Revolution.

However, as a parent (in a single-income household), I have dreaded the introduction of my daughter to the world of American Girl. Why? Because a single doll comes at the exorbitant price of $95. And if you want to get that doll a new outfit, it costs anywhere from $24-34. A doll bed will run you $85. Want the adorable dresser to hold your doll's sweet clothes? Be prepared to pay $350...mind you, that's more than the cost of my daughter's own dresser! So you can see why I dreaded yesterday...

We were invited to the American Girl Store in Los Angeles to celebrate the birthday of P, one of Olivia's closest friends. For true American Girl devotees, this place is called Heaven. All the party attendees brought their American Girl dolls, while Birthday Girl P lent Livy one of her own dolls, Kit. In the beginning, Livy wanted nothing to do with holding Kit. But as we wandered through the store and discovered all the different dolls and their neat accessories and adorable outfits, my girl became enamored.


After wandering the store, it was time for lunch at The Cafe. What a dream come true for little girls! The entire room was decorated in black, white and hot pink. The dolls had special table-side seats to join in the meal. The dolls had tiny teacups and saucers for tea time (hot chocolate) with the girls. The meal of doll-size hot dog and hamburger was a hit, as was the heart-shaped fruit and petite cinnamon rolls.

Dessert was an adorable array of pudding, cake and cookie and even us moms were "yumming" over it. From start to finish, this was all-out girlie fun for all ages and it blew all of us away. I was even finding myself enamored with American Girl!


It was time to part ways with American Girl, but not without some wistful sadness (Malia was determined to walk out with the restaurant's loaner baby no matter what).


The girls wished in the pond as we left The Grove shopping center and yes, my girl wished for her very own doll. Here's hoping it's a short-term wish and we won't be seeing any American Girl dolls on her Christmas wish list!

6 comments:

Kate said...

and I thought I had it bad with Ben little boy addictions! oy vei!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I think Livy gets an American Girl Doll. And maybe Malia can have an Itty Baby.
I am campaigning for them! I am their advocate! :)
There is a doll at Target or Wal-Mart that is a knock-off, and might be a good starter doll to see how Liv would do with it (meaning, see if she trashes in 2 days, considering the cost!).
I think I have my "Big Sisters" gift idea!

miyo b. said...

dylann got a "bitty baby" on her 1st birthday and has loved it the same for 3 1/2 years now - i actually don't think dylann would enjoy the ones with hair as much as she loves the one without.

Becky said...

I'll be honest, the whole marketing phenomenon around the "American Doll" scares me (and I'm a marketing person). They had a huge store in downtown Chicago which was the first time I was exposed to them. That store is set up more like a museum than a store.

Laura said...

Aye,aye,aye...I'm scared. If you get one for Livy, please hide it from Parker when we're over. She would jump on that bandwagon in an instant.

Great post Jen. Very interesting.

joyfulgirl said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhh no. you're scaring me now Jen. My MIL wants to take Miss Maya to this very place for her birthday THIS MONTH! What do I do, what do I do? She has already bought her the bitty baby for Christmas. Am I signing Maya up for future doll therapy? Well, I guess if it's not this, it's gonna be some other "I can't live without it toy" but really the lesson here I guess is we can live without everything we want and life can still be good:)