However, there is some pretty basic math that is resonating loud and clear around here lately. It's not exactly stretching my brain, this math, but it is stretching my resources, my capacity, my patience and my sanity. Let's see if you can keep up with me here, I'll lay the equations out simply:
1 + 1 + 1 = 3
3 > 1
Are you right brainers still with me? This elementary math is so simple, yet somehow I find myself surprised by the results. If 3 is obviously greater than 1, why am I surprised at the level of exhaustion and the lack of patience I experience at the end of a day with my three girlies? Why am I shocked that I can't seem to read more than a page in a book, hence why I haven't finished a novel in 6 months. Why this blog sat discarded through the entire month of December. Why Christmas gifts still littered my dinner table until two days ago. Why the refrigerator is in need of a heavy-handed cleaning. Why I never have clean clothes to wear, but my kids do.

Simple math, yet I allow myself to be confounded by the situation. When people ask how it is managing three kids, I typically make some self-deprecating remark, or I say that it's nearly the same as two; we have great days and tough days just like 2-kid families. Every parent has their challenges, no matter how many kids right? But some days I am reminded that God gave me two hands and with three kids, I will never have enough hands. And I just need to learn to make peace with that.
a.k.a. the line-up, the trio, the stair steps, the trifecta
3 comments:
amen sister...amen. my husband stayed home sick yesterday, and upon seeing the mess the house was in at around 3pm said..."is it always this messy??"..."yes"..."wow...you sure do disguise it well...."
ya think?!?! and he wants a fourth.......thank god for birth control
You may not have enough hands but your heart sure is big enough for those three girls. Xo
I agree with Jen K. :-) Your girlies are so sweet and precious and they are so lucky to have you as their Mama!
Post a Comment